Sunday, January 20, 2019

DrivethruRPG - Forced registration and...



Going through DrivethruRPG looking up some Rolemaster stuff for my brother and came across a red asterisk after all the titles. So I did a mouse over and got the following warning.

Talk about something I wasn't expecting.

Now it's not the forced registration that bothers me at all. After all I've been registered with Drivethru for years now.  But sending my email to the manufacturer? No thank you. Seriously in this day and age do I really want my email to be added to yet another database that I have no idea about the security of. That and there is no telling what it may actually be used for. Remember the guy who was trying to GoFundMe the wall recently was discovered to be selling the emails of donors to other groups to add to their mailing lists.

So all this does is scream one thing at anybody who sees it.

"Don't bother purchasing this, go pirate it instead"

Which is something any manufacturer doesn't want you to do. The harder you make it for somebody to get your product, the more hoops you have to jump through or the more strings attached to it, the more likely they will snag it for free someplace rather than dealing with it. Now I DO NOT suggest pirating books or gaming material, however I will point it out when companies seem to be doing everything they can to get potential customers to do so.

Like what you see here, found out how to support this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment