Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Jaded Gamer - Vampire part three


Okay a bit late on part three but here we go.

Like I said before I will be running my Vampire campaign using the 1st edition setting and rules. So not having an actual physical copy of said first edition I've been having to reread the book in pdf form. I was given a copy of 2nd edition by a friend to use so I figured I would be using it for a rules reference at the table since the rules changes weren't to terribly broad. One evening I was going to be outside and decided to grab that edition and take it outside to read.

I think I got whiplash from doing this.

The shift in the style of writing and the way they chose to give information was a lot different. And not in the most pleasing way.  The rules were fine and most of the nuts and bolts of system description are solid and in some ways better than the original. But damned a lot of the other stuff.

You ever know that guy who gets a bit of success under his belt? Like in school the jock who is suddenly making the game winning shots, or the person at work who is getting promotions all in a row out of nowhere? You remember how their attitude would change and that smell of arrogance would reek when they walk into a room? Yeah that's what I'm getting here.

You can absolutely tell that they are starting that movement from being something different and cool to trying way to hard at being edgy and really cool. I mean they haven't hit the level of the Revised edition yet. (just to note I tried coming back to VTM when Revised originally came out and promptly sold my copy off within a couple weeks) So needless to say all I didn't read to much just when and refreshed myself on some of the disciplines a bit.

I will say that thankfully they still keep the setting information to a lull. But I think that's because they are fully focusing on splat books by this time. The artwork is a big improvement in many places. But a little bit of me still misses that little vampire story they did through the entire 1st edition book. I can see why it was removed though.

So I'm still setting it up for Chicago 1991 using 1st edition setting and system. Going to run the Forged in Steel set up from the corebook and then work my way out into Ashes to Ashes and the rest of the Chicago Chronicles. That being said does anybody have any suggestions about what books from 2nd edition that I may want to look at in the future? Maybe something that really added to the setting at a local level or had some really great ideas in it? Drop me a message in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment